The first permanent structure was built on the Red Corral Ranch in 1934. The original ranch house, now known as The Limestone Lodge and located in the Main Grounds, was built out of native stone drawn directly from the land on the ranch.
The stone home and acreage were purchased by the Reeves family in 1969 as a weekend and vacation retreat. The owners and their three sons have enjoyed years of weekend and vacation time at the ranch, while residing in Austin. Over the years, the Reeves have made considerable improvements on the property, always focusing on the use of found and recycled materials.
In 1993, the ranch began its evolution from family vacation home to a premier Wedding and Retreat Venue when it was chosen as the working research site for the “PlanIt Texas” Project. The goal of PlanIt Texas was to demonstrate that it is possible to have an economically successful ranching operation compatible with the Endangered Species Act.
After the successful completion of PlanIt Texas, Colleen Reeves became inspired to broaden the use and purpose of the ranch by expanding the facilities and opening the land to the public. The ranch now offers a variety of amenities to our bed and breakfast guests and services events from corporate and spiritual retreats to weddings all year long.